How to make Coconut Rice
I think most of us have heard of or have tasted Asian coconut rice. If you travel up into our beautiful Africa – you might not have tried Nigerian coconut milk rice. If you enjoy a bit of a spicy kick – you might enjoy this one!
How to make Coconut Rice Nigerian Style: (1)
- 2 cups rice (you can use brown rice if you prefer)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 4-6 medium habanero peppers chopped (told you it had a burn!)
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 120ml coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons black pepper
- Make the rice as you usually do and let it boil for about 15 minutes. It must not be too soft because it still has more cooking to do.
- While that is happening, heat the vegetable oil in a pot.
- Add the onions and black pepper and fry for about a minute.
- Then combine the habaneros, tomatoes, coconut milk and salt to the onions. Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes or until it comes to the boil.
- Stir in the rice, cover the pot and cook until the rice is almost dry.
- Add in the green peppers and let this simmer until the rice has sucked up all the delicious juices.
Yields about 8 servings, so feel free to halve if need be. Traditionally, this dish is served with steamed veg and fried plantains.
How to Make Coconut Rice Thai Style: (2)
Serves 3 - 4
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 level dessert spoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Rinse the rice in cool water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice well.
- In a medium sized pot, add the rice, coconut cream, sugar, salt and the cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil, stirring so that the sugar dissolves. When it comes to the boil, cover the pot and turn down the heat and let it simmer.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Plump up the rice with a fork, cover and let it sit (off the heat) for about 20 minutes for it to intensify in flavour.
Yields about 3-4 servings
1. Food. food.com. Coconut rice Nigerian style
2. Ricker, Andy. epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coconut-rice-380588.
Other savory coconut dishes in the cocpalmtree
Share your own coconut rice recipe in the comment section below...
Would you like to share something about this?
What's your opinion on this?