Benefits of Coconut Milk
Is Coconut Milk Good for You?
Yes, most definitely...coconut milk is a “superfood,” right next to coconut oil, coconut cream, and coconut water.
Few things come close to the beneficial qualities in these! It's no wonder the coconut palm tree is referred to as the "tree of life."
Coconut milk is derived from blended and strained coconut meat. You can easily make your own coconut milk; our homemade coconut milk guide.
milk is mostly famous for its beneficial “healthy” fat content. The
fatty acids are medium chain and, therefore, are generated into energy
easily. The fatty acids, namely Capric and Lauric acid are
antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal. This means that coconut milk
has the ability to fight off infections, fungus (yeast) and viruses. This
very same Lauric acid is found in the breast milk of mothers; it's what
protects the baby from microorganisms and gives the immune system a
boost to fight them off.
Because of the amazing properties in
coconut milk, regular consumption has been used to lower bad
cholesterol, improve blood pressure levels and prevent heart disease.
milk is a great alternative to those who have lactose, soy or nut
allergies (coconut is a fruit). It is completely vegan.
If you would like to know the exact nutritional facts of coconut milk, you can find them here…
Coconut milk nutrition facts
So, what are the Benefits of Coconut Milk?
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
- Coconut milk/Coconut oil and cholesterol.
Not only does it lower bad cholesterol, but it increases good
cholesterol levels. How does it do this? A research study in reference
- Regulate Blood Pressure. The minerals found in
coconut milk are great for circulation support. They keep the blood
vessels supple and prevent the accumulation of plaque. The magnesium in
coconut milk is enough to relax muscles and increase blood circulation.
This, in turn, prevents heart disease also.
- Build Muscle, Burn Fat. The
medium chain fatty acids can provide an immediate boost of energy,
improving efforts in the gym. The nutrients in coconut milk are excellent at
replacing everything needed after a workout, to heal tissues
and grow new muscle quickly. Another advantage of coconut milk is that it keeps
you satiated for longer, preventing unnecessary snacking. Read more about the fat burning ability of coconut fats. Coconut fats have been considered as fats that prevent obesity and encourage weight loss. (link)
- Prevent dehydration and
milk will provide your body with a quality source of electrolytes
needed after vigorous exercise. Because of the hydrating ability of coconut milk, the
body and all its organs can work effectively to remove toxins and
- Skin and hair benefits of drinking coconut milk. Coconut
milk is full of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect against free
radicals that cause damage to cells and, therefore, premature aging. The
extra fats and vitamin E in your diet can help to improve the health of
your hair and nails. The benefits of coconut milk for hair are similar to those of coconut oil. Coconut oil hair mask, Hair growth with coconut oil.
- Bone health. Coconut
milk contains on average 120mg of phosphorus per 100g. This one serving
is 11% of our daily recommended intake of phosphorus. This is fantastic for
strong, healthy bones if used instead of milk.
- Healthy gut and regular bowel movements. Your
digestive system needs water and fat to function correctly, coconut milk
offers both. Coconut milk “feeds” the gut lining with nutrients, lines
it with healthy fats and therefore prevents a host of problems including
Irritable bowel syndrome. Many use coconut milk / coconut oil for
- Regulate blood sugar levels & Prevent or manage Diabetes. Sugar is released at a slower rate into the bloodstream when MCTs (medium chain fatty acids) are added to the equation. This prevents insulin spikes.
- Anti-inflammatory coconut milk benefits. The
fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and, therefore, help to reduce the
pain associated with inflammation. This can mean a world of difference
for those suffering from joint pain.
- Ward off colds and flu. Because
of the antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral
properties of coconut milk, it can ward off unwanted microorganisms and increase the
body’s resistance, by boosting the immune system.
- Heal and prevent Ulcers. Read the research links below.
Warning about Coconut Milk
- Organic, no sugar, no preservatives, non pasteurized, non flavored.
- Canned coconut milk often contains a harmful chemical called BPA. Native Forest coconut milk is the only brand that I know of that is BPA free. Always check any tin labels. BPA levels are higher in tins containing fatty foods, such as coconut milk.
Is coconut milk bad for you if you buy it BPA laden, full of preservatives, with sugar added, flavored and non-organic?
Yes, after all this, you are most likely left with mostly toxic, empty calories.
How to use Coconut Milk
Some recipe ideas for including coconut milk into your diet…
- Coconut milk can be used as a dairy alternative in most recipes.
- Coconut milk can be used instead of milk in your coffee.
- Coconut milk is great in soups and stews instead of cream.
- Our coconut milk ice cream recipe.
Resources & Research Links
- Impact of a traditional dietary supplement with coconut milk and soya milk on the lipid profile in normal free-living subjects. ncbi1
- Medium-chain triglycerides increase energy expenditure and decrease adiposity in overweight men. ncbi2
- Antiulcerogenic effects of coconut (Cocos nucifera) extract in rats. ncbi3
- Bisphenol A and human health: a review of the literature. ncbi4
Other pages in the cocopalmtree in connection with the benefits of coconut milk
Would you like to share something about this?
What's your opinion on this?