Coconut Oil Uses
What can you use Coconut Oil for?
If there is one thing that I always have on hand, it’s Coconut oil. It's so versatile! I cannot live without this stuff. It's no wonder the coconut tree is known as the “tree of life.”
The uses of coconut are so many that I would not be able to mention
them all here, but if you feel that I have left something out, please
leave a message below.
101 Uses of Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil Uses for Your Health
Use Coconut Oil to improve your health
Coconut oil can help with everything from digestion to giving you more energy.
Read our page about the many health benefits of coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Uses for Hair
Using coconut oil on hair:
- Coconut oil is an effective dandruff and flaky scalp treatment by putting lost moisture back into the scalp.
- It can be used to stimulate faster hair growth. Is often used by those who have thinned out hair or bald spots. How to use coconut oil for hair growth.
of the best Fractionated coconut oil uses. It makes a wonderful
anti-frizz and detangling treatment. If you have a little girl with long
hair, you will love this product. You can purchase fractionated coconut
oil with a spray bottle on Amazon. How to use coconut oil in hair; all
you do is spray it on before combing through. Alternatively, heat a
bit of oil in your hands, massage into the points and spray with a
little water before combing.
- You can prevent ingrown
hairs and infections caused by shaving. Coconut oil softens the skin so
much that the hairs are prevented from growing inwards. Also, coconut
oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal.
- Make your own natural
shampoo. I have not tried this myself, but you can mix apple
cider vinegar and coconut oil to make a moisturizing shampoo. Coconut
oil is known for its lathering properties and is often used in homemade
- A natural conditioner. Use as you would any
other conditioner. Massage the coconut oil into the scalp and hair as a
natural moisturizer. Your hair will feel softer and will look silky and
- Clean your hairbrush and makeup brushes; this ensures that the brushes are free from any bacteria.
natural hair gel replacement. Why use a product that's full of
chemicals and toxins when coconut oil will do the job just as well and
leave your hair moisturized and shiny.
- A hair mask. Coconut oil makes a perfect hair mask, get our DIY hair mask recipe here.
- Preventing split ends. Apply a little coconut oil to the ends daily. The fatty acids in coconut oil heal and protect.
chewing gum from hair. Rub the coconut oil in, leave on for a few
minutes and use a cloth to wipe the gum from the hair. Shampoo to remove
any leftover oil.
- Getting rid of lice. I have used coconut oil
to free my children from lice, and it does work. Cover the entire head with
coconut oil and comb through all of the hair with a lice comb, leave
the coconut oil on for 20 minutes. Rinse off and comb through again. I
did this whole process again the following day to be certain. Read more about getting rid of parasites with coconut oil here.
rid of cradle cap. An easy way to get rid of cradle cap. When
my little girl was still a wee baby, I used olive oil, but any food
grade oil should remove the cradle cap. Although if I had to do this
again, I would use coconut oil because of the added bacterial and
anti-fungal protection that it offers. A yeast infection often causes cradle cap. Rub in the oil and brush
your baby’s hair with a soft brush until the patches have cleared. Shampoo. Rinse. Dry. Done. ;-)
Top of Page
- Moisturize and exfoliate dry feet. Coconut oil can heal cracked heels too. Mix 2tbsp of coconut oil with 1 tsp of salt and an optional 3 drops of lavender essential oil. Massage into feet, leave on for a few minutes and wash off. Moisturize with some pure coconut oil. Leave on.
- Athletes foot treatment. After having a shower, apply the coconut oil liberally. Wash your hands before applying to the other foot. The coconut oil is anti fungal.
How to use Coconut Oil for Skin
- Can you use coconut oil on your face? Yes, most certainly, in fact, many use it to treat acne. How to use coconut oil for acne; Use it instead of your day or night moisturizer. Other ways in which you can use coconut oil on your face.
- Coconut oil has been found to sooth skin affiliated with psoriasis and eczema. The application of coconut oil can also prevent any secondary infections from scratching.
- The anti-fungal properties of coconut oil can help to treat and prevent the spread of yeast infections. Mothers who breastfeed are often advised to use coconut oil during an infection. The coconut oil is applied to her breasts and inside her baby’s mouth to treat the infection and to prevent the two of them from giving the infection to each other. It is often also used as a nipple cream to prevent cracked nipples.
- Heal your skin. Coconut oil is often used on bruises, sunburn, and cuts to decrease the healing time. It can also be used to reduce itching caused by insect bites.
- Dry skin. Keep some coconut oil handy for after washing dishes. To lock in moisture, apply coconut oil after a shower. Coconut sugar scrub recipes.
- A soothing shaving cream alternative. Heal razor burn fast and prevent ingrown hairs.
Top of Page
Relaxation and Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil
- Feed your skin. Nothing can compare to the nourishing, moisturizing ability of coconut oil. It contains loads of antioxidants, which will also keep those wrinkles away. Coconut oil can be used instead of any other facial moisturizers.
- A cellulite treatment. The combination of dry brushing and coconut oil can do wonders for the skin.
- Use coconut oil to protect you from the sun. Coconut oil can protect you from 20% of the sun’s harmful UV rays. Apply some coconut oil before applying your regular sunscreen for added protection.
- To relax and unwind. Get an old sock and fill it with ¼ cup of Epsom salts, ¼ cup of coconut oil and ¼ cup of raw oats. Tie a knot on top and place in your bath water. Massage the sock to release all its goodness. The sock prevents your bath from feeling gritty and getting full of slimy oats, but all the moisturizing properties are released into the water. Add a few drops of lavender oil to your bath.
- Whiten your teeth with oil pulling. Read the benefits of coconut oil pulling.
- Can be added to your weight loss plan. It helps your body burn fat more efficiently and is a great appetite suppressant. How to use coconut oil for weight loss.
- Coconut oil is an excellent massage oil. You can add your own essential oils to suit your specific needs. Coconut oil is known to boost circulation.
- Use coconut oil as a natural makeup remover.
- Can be used on the lips as a healing lip balm.
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- One of my favorite coconut oil beauty uses. Make your own natural lipstick. All you need is coconut oil and raw beetroot or cocoa powder or turmeric
Top of Page
Ways to use Coconut Oil in your Food
Some of our recipes using coconut oil
Always buy Virgin organic coconut oil for best results.
Top of Page
Other Coconut Oil Uses
- Coconut oil can be used as a natural lubricant, with added benefits mentioned here. Don't use as a lubricant before you have read the page about the precautions.
- Can be used as a diaper cream.
- Natural constipation relief in adults and babies.
- Can be used instead of regular deodorant.
- Can be rubbed inside the nose to alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Can help to boost the immune system and even sooth a sore throat and heal cold sores. Read more about the health benefits here.
- Increase the lifespan of your eggs with up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator, by covering them with a thin layer of coconut oil.
- Make your own homemade toothpaste. Make a paste with coconut oil and baking soda. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Make your own insect repellent. Mix 2 tbsp coconut oil with 2 drops peppermint essential oil, 2 drops rosemary oil and 2 drops tea tree oil.
- Make your own natural exfoliator. Mix coconut oil with organic coconut sugar.
- Make your own natural Vapor Rub. Combine 2 drops of eucalyptus oil to 1tsp of coconut oil and use as you would Vapor Rub to open up the airways. You can rub it on your child’s chest.
- Can be used to polish leather and wood.
- Can be used instead of wax to polish your car.
- Using coconut oil as a natural teething gel. Coconut oil helps to reduce inflammation. Add 2 drops of clove essential oil to 1tbsp of coconut oil. The clove oil will help to relieve the pain.
- Unstick a zipper.
Top of Page
How to take your daily dose of coconut oil
References and Resources
Share your own found virgin coconut oil uses and benefits...
Coconut products are the perfect addition to a successful ketogenic diet.
Would you like to share something about this?
What's your opinion on this?