How to make Coconut Rice
I think most of us have heard of or have tasted Asian coconut rice. If you travel up into our beautiful Africa – you might not have tried Nigerian coconut milk rice. If you enjoy a bit of a spicy kick – you might enjoy this one!
How to make Coconut Rice Nigerian Style: (1)
- 2 cups rice (you can use brown rice if you prefer)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 4-6 medium habanero peppers chopped (told you it had a burn!)
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 120ml coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons black pepper
- Make the rice as you usually do and let it boil for about 15 minutes. It must not be too soft because it still has more cooking to do.
- While that is happening, heat the vegetable oil in a pot.
- Add the onions and black pepper and fry for about a minute.
- Then combine the habaneros, tomatoes, coconut milk and salt to the onions. Cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes or until it comes to the boil.
- Stir in the rice, cover the pot and cook until the rice is almost dry.
- Add in the green peppers and let this simmer until the rice has sucked up all the delicious juices.
Yields about 8 servings, so feel free to halve if need be. Traditionally, this dish is served with steamed veg and fried plantains.
How to Make Coconut Rice Thai Style: (2)
Serves 3 - 4
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 level dessertspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- Rinse the rice in cool water until the water runs clear. Drain the rice well.
- In a medium-sized pot, add the rice, coconut cream, sugar, salt and the cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil, stirring so that the sugar dissolves. When it comes to the boil, cover the pot and turn down the heat and let it simmer.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Plump up the rice with a fork, cover and let it sit (off the heat) for about 20 minutes for it to intensify in flavor.
Yields about 3-4 servings
1. Food. food.com. Coconut rice Nigerian style
2. Ricker, Andy. epicurious. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coconut-rice-380588.
Other savory coconut dishes in the cocpalmtree
Share your own coconut rice recipe in the comment section below...
Coconut products are the perfect addition to a successful ketogenic diet.
Would you like to share something about this?
What's your opinion on this?